1. Czone
  2. SEND
  3. Education, Health and Care Plans
  4. Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment

Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment

You can request an Education Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment for a child or young person if:

  • you think they need further support
  • they are not making progress despite high quality SEN support

An EHC needs assessment is also known as a statutory assessment.

Please look at the SEN Matrix guidance before completing a request for an EHC needs assessment. 

How to request an EHC needs assessment

All schools and settings

Early years settings

For help to assess and evidence the child’s level of need, you can use the Early years developmental journal | CDC

Guide for parents

Share these documents with the parents when you request an EHC needs assessment.

They provide an overview of and timescales for the assessment:

If you need these documents in an alternative format, get in touch:

Phone: 01273 336 740 

Email: sen.caseworkassistants@eastsussex.gov.uk

Related information

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.