Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment
You can request an Education Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment for a child or young person if:
- you think they need further support
- they are not making progress despite high quality SEN support
An EHC needs assessment is also known as a statutory assessment.
Please look at the SEN Matrix guidance before completing a request for an EHC needs assessment.
How to request an EHC needs assessment
All schools and settings
- Firstly read the SEN Matrix guidance
- Get parental consent to request an assessment using the SA1B: Statutory assessment consent form [194.7 KB] [docx]
- Complete the Setting EHC needs assessment form [175.3 KB] [docx]
- Email your form with any additional evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
Early years settings
- Discuss your concerns with the child’s SEND early years adviser or practitioner before submitting your request for an EHC needs assessment
For help to assess and evidence the child’s level of need, you can use the Early years developmental journal | CDC
Guide for parents
Share these documents with the parents when you request an EHC needs assessment.
They provide an overview of and timescales for the assessment:
- EHC needs assessment - overview [136.6 KB] [docx]
- EHC needs assessment - 20 week timeline [165.0 KB] [pdf]
If you need these documents in an alternative format, get in touch:
Phone: 01273 336 740
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.