Healthy Schools status
There are two awards you can work towards. Both show your school’s commitment to supporting the health and wellbeing of children, staff and families.
Self-validated Healthy Schools status
You achieve Self-validated Healthy School Status and receive a certificate valid for three years when:
- your self-evaluation is ‘good’ or ‘outstanding' for most criteria
- you pass a light-touch assurance process
East Sussex Healthy Schools Excellence Award
Achieve an ‘enhanced’ Healthy Schools status and the Excellence Award when you go on to:
- have an external validation visit
- submit a case study
Healthy Schools Grants
There are grants of up to £5,000 to help schools to achieve Healthy School status or the Healthy Schools Excellence Award.
All state-funded schools in the county can apply for a grant to help complete the School Health Check or aspects of their Healthy Schools Action Plan.
Apply for a Healthy Schools Grant
Your school will need to a complete a simple application form and submit a bid. Your bid must be for sustainable, evidence-based activities, for example:
- Supply cover to release a member of staff to complete the School Health Check.
- Improvement of an outdoor area to increase pupils' levels of physical activity, such as a running track or trim trail.
- Resources for social, emotional and mental health support, like equipping a nurture room.
- Staff training from a suitable provider on how to teach cooking or food education.
- Buying a PSHE scheme of work.
Contact the Healthy Schools Team
To discuss your proposals or arrange an action planning meeting, contact the School Health Service:
Was this page helpful?
Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.