East Sussex Music's Certificate for Music Educators
2. Who is the CME for?
The CME has been developed for anyone who works as a music educator with children and young people, including:
- instrumental and vocal teachers working with music services, hubs, schools or privately
- non-specialist school teachers who deliver music lessons in the classroom
- community musicians and workshop leaders
- professional musicians who undertake education work
Practical application of learning
Whilst the CME course provides learning materials, the real gain is in the application of the skills and knowledge into practical use in the day to day teaching of the practitioner. It is this application of learning that forms much of the evidence on which learners are assessed.
All learners therefore need to demonstrate they have sufficient and regular (eg weekly) teaching work to be able to undertake the CME. If you are not currently working as a music leader in any setting, you will not be able to register for the course.
All CME learners will need to provide evidence that they hold a current DBS certificate. If not, East Sussex Music can apply for a DBS check for you, but you will need to pay a small fee.
You will need to meet the entry requirement of the course:
- You will need to demonstrate musical competence appropriate to your work
- You will need to be engaging in regular teaching work as described in the above paragraph
- You will need a current DBS certificate (we can arrange this for you if you do not)
- You will need to have access to a computer and the internet - all learning is via the online portal
- You will need to be able to commit an appropriate amount of your free time to the study. Up to 185 hours in total (part of which is undertaken during your day to day teaching)
- The CME qualification can now be offered to learners internationally. So, if you are teaching abroad, you can still gain the CME. Overseas learners are usually mentored from the UK via email/video conferencing in the same way as UK learners, and can access online webinars and tutorials in the same way.