Off Rolling: a notification if a child is missing education

1. Off Rolling

Off-rolling notification

When a pupil leaves school and is removed from the school’s roll, you can now notify the Local Authority that you have done this using the new online Off-rolling Notification Form (OR1).

However, schools should only do this when they have confirmation of the date on which the pupil was placed on roll at the new school or provision and have been provided with details of attendance or absence.

Please note that the pupil’s school file remains the responsibility of the school and should not be sent to the CME Officer.

Off Rolling Form

2. Child Missing Education (CME)

Children Missing Education (CME)

If you suspect a child is ‘missing’ where there are already child protection concerns, the school must inform the relevant social service duty team immediately, as well as the Children Missing Education Officer.

For pupils that have left your school completely and where you have been unable to establish the educational provision that the pupil is attending, or where a pupil has been missing for 10 school days or more, schools should complete the online CME Referral Form.

Before making a referral, schools should make their own efforts to locate the pupil. Schools may find it helpful to use the CME Checklist before making a referral. The CME Officer will require schools to demonstrate what actions they have taken as part of the referral process.

CME Referral Form

CME Policy document