Volunteer for Independent Appeal and Review Panels
East Sussex County Council is seeking headteachers as volunteers to sit on:
- Independent Appeal Panels (IAPs) with regard to school admission appeals. Such appeals are submitted by parents who wish to challenge the admission authority’s decision to refuse their child a place at their preferred school. IAPs have the power to either uphold or dismiss appeals; and/or
- Independent Review Panels (IRPs) who upon request review a Governing Board’s decision to permanently exclude a pupil.
We are seeking to recruit up to 10 volunteers and welcome applications from all sectors of the community.
Your primary role as a panel member would be to:
- read the case papers in advance of the hearing
- actively participate in the hearing process
- help determine the outcome of the admission appeal or exclusion review request, depending on the type of process.
The Independent Panel member
You should be sensitive to the concerns of parents and carers and to the pressures on local schools. You will also need to be a good listener and have the ability to be objective and act impartially.
We will provide you with training on the legal framework of the appeal process and local procedures. Service is voluntary, but you will be paid out of pocket expenses.
If you would like an application form and further details sent to you, please contact Hannah Matthews, East Sussex School Appeals Service via the details on the right, or at:
St Anne's Crescent, Lewes, BN7 1UE
For an informal discussion about the roles please contact Miss Matthews by phone.