MHEW Training, networking and events
2021 MHEW Conference - Webinar recordings and resources are available now
There are more mental health and emotional wellbeing resources related to Coronavirus here.
1. Mental Health Leads' - Training
Mental Health Leads Programme
Over 200 staff are working as MH Leads in East Sussex schools and colleges, championing improvements in understanding and practice around MHEW, and embedding an organisation-wide approach. To support our MH Leads, we offer regular training on the 8 key themes of a whole school approach, with a choice of 2 dates per session as follows:
All session can be booked using the East Sussex learning Portal.
**News update – September 2021**
The Department for Education (DfE) is offering a senior member of school or college staff the opportunity to get a grant for training to develop the knowledge and skills to implement an effective whole school or college approach to mental health and wellbeing in their setting.
The grant is a contribution to the cost of training and the hiring of supply staff whilst leads are engaged in learning.
The training courses listed below for MH Leads have been assured for DfE grant-funded senior mental health lead training.
For more information on the DfE grant for senior MH Leads’ training, please click here.
Leadership & Management / Ethos & Environment (themes 1 & 2)
13 October (09:30 - 11:30)
11 November (13:00 - 15:00)
- Clarify and reinforce the MH Lead role
- Understand key expectations of school/college re MHEW
- Increase awareness of MHEW needs and underlying factors
- Develop strategic-operational alliance with governing body re MHEW
Staff wellbeing and development / Curriculum, teaching and learning (themes 3&4)
30 November 2021 (09:30 - 11:30)
2 December 2021(13:00 - 15:00)
- Understanding staff needs and implementing support and training
- Meeting the specific MHEW learning needs of your cohort(s)
- Gaining students’ views re PSHE and/or MHEW lesson content
- Sharing curriculum content with parents/carers
- Developing staff confidence to teach safely and sensitively about MHEW
Assessing need and monitoring impact /Targeted support (themes 5&6)
25 January 2022 (09:30 - 11:30)
3 March 2022 (13:00 - 15:00)
- Explore tools for assessing MHEW in pupils, and how to tailor learning accordingly
- Develop graduated support for MHEW needs
- Gain an understanding of local MHEW provision
- Decision-making processes for MHEW referrals
Student voice / Engaging with parents and carers (themes 7&8)
8 March 2022 (09:30 - 11:30)
17 March 2022 (13:00 - 15:00)
- Explore pupil participation opportunities
- Explore your organisation's relationships with parents/carers and how to maximise engagement
2021 Recorded sessions
- Thursday 4 February 2021 (Recorded Webinar Session 1)
- Thursday 4 March 2021 (Recorded Webinar Session Part 1 / Part 2 )
- Assessing Need and Monitoring impact; Targeted support (22 April 2021)
- Thursday 6 May 2021 (Student Voice; working with parents)
- Thursday 17 June 2021 (Curriculum, teaching and development) (Recorded Webinar)
- 2021 Mental Health Awareness days (session 1)